Monday, April 4, 2011

It's craft time again! Pillows!





For this craft, I used some leftover fabric from a vintage pillowcase that I had used to make my daughter a top. It was just enough for two pillows. I used plain white cotton on the front so I could paint something cute on it.


If you have a sewing machine, this is simple. Cut the fabric to the same size with right sides facing. Using just a running stitch on your machine, stitch all the way around but leave a hole large enough for you to stuff the pillow. I like to use my back stitch in the corners just for extra reinforcement.


Turn the pillow form right side out and begin to stuff with polyfil. I stuffed mine pretty firm but still soft and squishy. Not lumpy.


Using a needle and thread, whipstitch the hole and tie off.


You could certainly stop here but I like to add a little whimsy and personality. I used acrylic paints in red, pumpkin orange, and bright blue to add flowers to the white fabric. These are the colors in the vintage fabric that's on the back. Then, I let it dry just a little and used a black paint with a writing tip to outline my flowers. Wonderful way to perk up your sunroom, porch swing, or patio. Just be sure if you use these outside that you bring them in during inclement weather and keep out of direct sunlight as that will fade the fabric and the paint.


No comments:

Post a Comment